Friday, July 24, 2009

Fan Club

Today we talked to Dorie on the street. She's an elderly neighbor who I met once a long time ago when my old stripey cat, Casey, escaped into the courtyard of her building and she let us in. Dorie's back window looks out onto our backyard, and sometimes I catch her watching us when we're in the yard. In fact, some of you may have caught her at it as well. We were walking home today and she was out front of her building, so I stopped and said hi and she complimented my baby (who doesn't love that?!). She told me that she likes our garden and she likes looking at Jacob when we're out there and he seems like such a good baby and so advanced for his age. She also told me that she notices we have friends over a lot and it looks like we have nice friends who care about us a lot. Yes, Dorie. Yes we do. She was surprised when I told her we'd only moved to New York about four years ago, because with so many great friends, she had assumed we had lived here all our lives.

Anyway. It is hard to meet people in a city where everyone keeps their eyes down, and it was kind of sweet to know that one of our neighbors has been keeping an eye on little Jacob and enjoys watching him grow from her window next door. She'll be in Italy for the next couple months, so I told her we'd look forward to showing her how much he's grown when she gets back.

No comments:

Post a Comment