Saturday, May 23, 2009

First Days

Finally, a post from Mommy...

I can't believe that a week ago I was sitting in the hospital, being told that I had to decide whether to be induced that night, or wait till the next day.

And today we're about to load up Jacob in the stroller and take him to the Saturday Market to pick up some fruit and flowers.

My recovery has been amazingly fast. On Monday I felt like I might never walk at full speed, stand fully upright, or go to the bathroom without feeling major trauma ever again. But the female body is proving to be an amazing machine, and even though I spent the week running back and forth from the hospital instead of in bed like I would have liked, I am feeling (relatively) great. And every day I look a few weeks less pregnant! It's truly astounding to watch one's body go through so many changes so quickly.

Life at home with Jacob is really something. He is constantly doing something that makes me just stop and stare in amazement. We have been working really hard to transition him to breastfeeding after four days in the NICU on formula. He's still getting a little bit from the bottle, just to make sure that his blood-sugar and billirubin stay where we want them, but we've finally reached the point where the majority of his feedings are breastfeeding. Not that it's easy. He's a very sleepy baby, and it is a real challenge to keep him awake and interested long enough to get all the food he needs. Usually it's a three-person job, me holding him, Zach tickling his feet and ears and belly to wake him up, and Jacob just staring up at us with his big, sleepy eyes, wondering what all the fuss is about. This is going to be a full time job for a little while, so if you call and no one answers, it is most likely because we are trying to get the little man to eat. My favorite moments are right after a feeding when his eyes are wide and alert and he curls up on Zach's stomach and stares at us for awhile and then drifts back off to sleep. What an angel! He is so tiny that he is swimming in even his tiniest newborn clothes, but I know that he won't stay this small for long!

Thank you so much to all of you who have called, dropped by, texted, and emailed to let us know that you are thinking of us and celebrating with us. We are feeling overwhelmingly supported and loved and I can't wait to introduce Jacob to all of you out there who love him so much!

1 comment:

  1. Oooo!!! I can't wait to be tickling and kissing that belly and those toes too! Give him a special kiss on the back of his neck (it's my favorite baby spot) from is Aunt Susie!! xoxox I miss you guy so much and I wish I was there with you. Sending you all my love....
    Suz

    ReplyDelete